Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Up-Cyling Little Tikes Swingset and Slide


I've been meaning to get this post up for a while now…like a month, but life gets busy, and little things of slightly lesser importance get piled up in a corner for later…if ever. But luckily, the pile is being ransacked, later is now!

I saw an up-cycle of a Little Tikes picnic table on Pinterest a while back, and really wanted to get on board of that trend…but didn't really want the old school table that didn't fold up. (And refurbishing things, just for fun, is a habit my husband would like me to lose.) Then, upon further study, I learned you can spray paint plastic…WHA???! I know! So I started researching it, and sure enough, many little kid cottages and houses had been brought back to life with a few cans spray paint.

So, I took to our local Craigslist (which has now become a problem in itself)…I scoured and trolled for about a week. I struck out several times…'sorry, it's sold' was becoming my Craigslist anthem. But after work one day, I got on, scrolled through all the newly added kid stuff, found nothing, refreshed, and BOOM! A Little Tikes Swing Set and Climber for $75, posted 16 minutes ago. I jumped on that faster than burnt bacon (what? I like burnt bacon)! It was dirty and disgusting and had water sloshing inside of it, but I knew with a little love, it could be transformed. 





In order to move it, we had to fully dissemble it (pain in the ass, by the way). We gave it a good scrub down with soapy water and sprayed it all off. We picked up some cans of Rust-oleum 2X spray paint in green and red at Home Depot. Last minute, I decided I wanted one more color, so I ran to Walmart and bought some Krylon Fusion spray paint. Both claim to work on plastic. After laying down a tarp, I got busy. The Rust-oleum worked incredibly, with smooth, even coverage. Not so much can be said for Krylon, which dripped and splattered and made zero effort to disperse evenly, if at all. Rust-oleum good, Krylon bad. I ended up returning to Home Depot and buying my third color in Rust-oleum instead, and repainting over the Krylon mess.

One slide painted, the other slide still faded!
The green (Hunter or Forrest, I forget) covered very well,
Just by looking at the cans, you can tell which had better control and dispensing.
If you look closely, you can see the splatter and drops from the Krylon…terrible.
In all, it took about a day and a half of painting and my arm hurt like a mother!! After reassembly (which was hard considering we had no real instructions) a few of the pieces had slight scratches afterward, but touched up easily. It's been in active use now for a little less than a month, and is holding up fantastically…with a few minor scratches on the slide (because the bubble-blowing lawn mower has taken a turn or two down it).



I loved the outcome so much that I actually tackled two Little Tikes cube slides for friends, one with left over paint and one with pastels. 

Before.
After.
Hard at work.
Quick note: after so many painting jobs, the paint on the tarp from jobs past,
will peel off and stick to your current job…even more so if it's hot out.







20 comments:

  1. After spray painting the slide is it still slick? The kids hate slides that don't work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it's AS slick, but if I'm being completely honest, my kids run up it and use it as a ramp for all their Matchbox cars. I think these particular slides aren't big enough to have an impact on slickness speeds.

      Delete
  2. Great post! Would love to see an update on how it's all holding up with the change of seasons since you first posted this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! How many cans of spray paint did this take?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think 6 or 7...maybe more if I count the Krylon! 😂

      Delete
  4. Would also love to know if the slides are still slick, and how this is holding up after some time :) Looks great, we would love to do this to our 8 in 1 little tykes playground

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd also like to know if the slide is slick

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd also like to know if the slide is slick

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to assume it's not as slick as it was, but the kids are running up it more than sliding down it. My children are beautiful bundles of destruction, and they haven't taken it easy on this climber. The paint didn't hold up as well as I was hoping it would. Definitely would recommend this option for less functionally climbed on toys like the cottages and just a regular swing set. Climbers get a lot more wear than I think the paint can handle. If you do want to paint your climber, maybe choose colors closer to the original, so you don't have turquoise peeking through a tan color. Thank you for reading and all your questions and comments, I apologize for not answering them until now, I didn't realize they were here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd love to see how the paint held up on these--thinking about doing this myself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I plan on stocking this bin and leaving it up to the students to get their materials for the week.  Mobile Bumper Repairs Sydney

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please, I am interested to know if your primed, sealed, and how it held up

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been trying to find answers for days but have had no luck

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there, I was wondering how your upcycling paint job held up? I'm about to do the same thing. Have any other tips? Thanks, K

    ReplyDelete
  13. We have just got the same set for $75 and it needs some love. Any tips on securing the swing set bar. It doesn't seem to lock in

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello... I need to paint an slide too.... how is it holding up your slide? Or any body knows a professional that can do a good job on this instead of me.... not very handy...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi I see this was originally posted in 2014 and am curious how it help up over the years. I literally just bought the exact same set and just came across your post. I hadnt even thought about painting it. I’d love to but if it ends up peeling a year down the line I’m not going to bother. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have the same set which I bought used from Facebook marketplace ... how did it withstand the test of time?

      Delete